Piping & Drumming Events
8:00 AM: Doors Open
9:00 AM: Solo Piping and Drumming Competition begins
1:00 PM: Band Competition begins
4:00 PM: Massed Band Parade
4:30 PM: Award Ceremony & Closing
ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED to allow time to produce competition documents including the order of play and program.
Event 1 Chanter (as per PPBAM rules)
Event 2 Grade 5 - 2/4 March (2 parts)
Event 3 Grade 4 - Slow Air (2 parts)
Event 4 Grade 4 - 2/4 March (4 parts)
Event 5 Grade 3 - 2/4 March
Event 6 Grade 3 - Strathspey & Reel
Event 7 Grade 3 - Jig
Event 8 Grade 2 - 2/4 March (submit 2), Strathspey & Reel
Event 9 Grade 2 - Hornpipe & Jig
Event 10 Grade 1 - March, Strathspey & Reel (submit 2)
Event 11 Grade 1 - Hornpipe & Jig (submit 2)
Event 12 Grade 4 - Piobaireachd (gr. & 1st var.)
Event 13 Grade 3 - Piobaireachd (submit 1)
Event 14 Grade 2 - Piobaireachd (submit 2)
Event 15 Grade 1 - Piobaireachd (submit 3)
Event 16 Snare Drum Pad (as per PPBAM rules)
Event 17 Grade 5 Snare 2/4 March (2 parts)
Event 18 Grade 4 Snare 2/4 March
Event 19 Grade 4 Snare 6/8 March
Event 20 Grade 3 Snare 2/4 March
Event 21 Grade 3 Snare 6/8 March
Event 22 Grade 2 Snare March, Strathspey & Reel
Event 23 Grade 2 Snare Hornpipe & Jig
Event 24 Grade 1 Snare March, Strathspey & Reel
Event 25 Grade 1 Snare Hornpipe & Jig
Event 26 Novice Tenor 2/4 March
Event 27 Intermediate Tenor March, Strathspey & Reel
Event 28 Novice Bass March
Event 29 Open Tenor March, Strathspey & Reel
Event 30 Open Tenor Hornpipe & Jig
Event 31 Open Bass March, Strathspey & Reel
Event 32 Open Base Hornpipe & Jig
Pipe Band Events
Event 33 Grade 5 - Quick March Medley (2:45-4:30 min)
Event 34 Grade 4 - Quick March Medley (2:45-4:30 min)
Event 35 Grade 4 - Medley (3-5 minutes)
Event 36 Grade 3 - March, Strathspey & Reel
Event 37 Grade 3 - Medley (3-5 minutes)
Event 38 Grade 2 - March, Strathspey & Reel (submit 2 sets)
Event 39 Grade 2 - Medley (4-6 minutes)
- All events will be run under Prairie Pipe Band Association of Manitoba rules.
- Competitors must enter the grade of their home association. Solo competitors may play up provided they enter and play in all events in their grade. All competitors not registered with PPBAM must include a copy of their membership from their home association with their entry form.
- Bands must be registered with their local piping & drumming association. An association band roster must accompany all band entries. Bands will not be permitted to play up.
- All entries must be postmarked on or before April 11th, 2016.
- Entries postmarked after April 11th will be charged a late fee of $10.00 for solos and $25 for bands.
- Competitor numbers will be issued at the Registration table upon check-in on the day. No field entries.
- Entry refunds for solos only upon presentation of a medical certificate.
- Competitors and bands may enter their own grade, and may play up one grade only. (as per PPBAM rules)
- Solo drummers may use a recording of a piper. If a piper is used, priority will be given to solo piping events.
- All solo competitors will play in reverse order (first to enter, last to compete).
- All competitors must be acquainted with the order of play and be ready to play when called. Failure to do so could result in disqualification.
- All tunes are a minimum of 4 parts each, unless stated otherwise.
- Any event may be cancelled for low entries at the discretion of the committee. Competitors will be notified as soon as possible prior to the event.
- Piobaireachd competitors must supply music when requested by judge.
- The Piper & Drummer of the Day trophies will be awarded to a piper and drummer who meet criteria set by the competition committee.
- Medal Awards:
up to 8 entries, 3 medals
9-12 entries, 4 medals
13-16 entries, 5 medals;
More than 16 entries will be divided into 2 competitions
- Prize money for the winners of each band event with more than one band competing is $50 in addition to the trophy.
- If only one band competes, the registration fee will be refunded and the band will play for adjudication only.